Monday, March 24, 2008

Behind Every Man...


is someone who is helping to make him great. In this case, that someone is my mother, June Phillips. What people don't know is what they don't know -- how my mother has taken care of my father and set an example that is, and will always be, where the bar has been set for my family. I remember years ago when my father was healthy and Mom was traveling - dogs in car, groceries on the floorboard, clean laundry ready to exchange for not-so-clean - to an apartment in Houston to stay and tend to Dad while he worked at the American Bureau of Shipping, returning to Dickinson on weekends. This wasn't a summer thing, not even a year-long arrangement. This went on for years and years. Dad would go be Senior Engineer and totally concentrate on work as Mom picked up all the slack of home and family and everything else...I guess that's the way we did things back then, but maybe not so much anymore. Anyway, I remember I said to her in a conversation, and I quote, "Mom, I really admire the way you take care of Dad." And I went on in my own awkward way to tell her how highly I thought about all that and how it inspired me to be a better wife. My Mom didn't puff up, she didn't say anything about sacrificing (which she was), or spending so much time and energy (which she did), or anything self-serving (as I would have). Nope. Mom simply stated very matter of factly, "He's worth it."



Fast forward 10 years and my Mom was still taking care of my Dad, though my Dad was mentally and physically much more challenged and needed much more care. Mom had to be there in every way. She lamented the day she had to admit that Dad's health problems were bigger than she is (and at 4'10", she really managed to handle more than anyone I know!). My Dad went to a wonderful place to receive the care he deserved and my Mom visited as often as she could - she made friends with so many of the folks at the Cottages of Clear Lake- and now is realizing she wants to return as a volunteer and continue to touch their lives with her wonderful, outgoing spirit. My mother walks in and everyone looks at her as she talks to them - CONNECTS with them - and brings smiles to so many. I could go on....suffice to say, our mother has provided us with a clear directive and purposeful point of view -- again in her words, "there is nothing like family". We love you Mom.

2 comments:

FP Brewer said...

You're right - mom rocks. And so do you, new blogger!

Elizabeth said...

Great stuff! I just discovered the blog this morning and am loving it. Wonderful idea and I can't wait to hear more stories!