Thursday, March 27, 2008

Today was Edwin's Funeral


There is no way I can begin to explain the myriad of emotions that filled the day today. From seeing my family and extended family all together, telling my Dad good-bye, seeing my son Scott the Marine and daughter Jen the Navy Lt. solemnly fold his flag, talking to friends I haven't seen in years, seeing his grandchildren who are now adults - some with their own children, hearing the beautiful Requiem Mass - a Catholic liturgical rite that has been in existence since about the 12th century, telling my Dad good-bye, watching my mother and trying to comfort her, feeling the presence of God in the church and at the cemetery... did I mention telling my Dad good-bye? It is my hope that all present will contribute their thoughts here. Stay tuned for some pictures that will only begin to tell the story of today as we all, in our own way, said good-bye to Edwin. We will so miss him as we dearly loved him for the man that he was and the man who will remain in our hearts.

4 comments:

Scottybob said...

“Voyage upon life's sea, To yourself be true, And, whatever your lot may be, Paddle your own canoe”

No greater honor has been bestowed upon me than having the duty and privilege of bidding farewell by folding the stars and stripes of my Grandfathers, Samuel Ward McCollough and Edwin Faraday Phillips. God fearing, loving, wise, and faithful, no man could be more proud of their Pop-Pop and Grandpa. It is my consolation to know that they now stand together next to their Creator, and gaze upon the legacy they leave behind... My Grammy, sons, daughters, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and innumerable men and women who had the benefit to be loved by these men.

My Grandpa was a patriot. Sitting in his lap as a young "laddy" he taught me about Naval Warfare and seafaring heroes from our nation's past. A permanent respect and deep fascination for all things nautical will never fade from my thoughts. Especially ingrained in my memory of Grandpa's talent was his ability to fashion an overwhelming vision in my young mind as his narrative unfolded. While looking at me over the rim of his glasses, his gentle but intense gaze would transfix my attention for what seemed like days. His ability to fashion an image in my young mind was nothing short of fantastic. His deep and prophetic voice- accented with a sharpened Scotch-Irish flavor at times- narrated stories that were inescapable and daunting. As early as my memory permits, I have had a deep fear for the sea and a resounding reverence for those seafaring souls lost underway, forever reflected, regaled and loved by men like my Grandpa. Every time I hear the hymn Eternal Father, I can think of nothing but my Grandpa and the profound capacity he had in captivating a young boy's mind.

He was blessed with an analytical mind, and wasted no amount of talent crafting absolute marvels. His contribution to the industry will echo in modern martime engineering for years to come. I am forever blessed with his love, lessons and memory.

Philpot O'Toole said...

Wow, Scott. That was amazing to read! Where did your literary talent come from? Thanks so much for posting that.
And btw - I was never so proud as while I watched you and Jen fold the flag from my dad's coffin. Thanks so much for being there for all of us.

Unknown said...

Wow! Up to this point I have only had the pleasure of reading Elizabeth's thoughts on wine, the world, marriage, family, and love. Clearly, you all have a little piece of Edwin in you, which is evidenced by your fantastic ability to write. Cherie Mac...I have only enjoyed your comments in spurts via Front Porch Brewery, but this is a delightful tribute to your Dad, and a fantastic blog to remember him by. It has become one of my favorites to check in on, and is a great reminder that life is short and there is nothing quite like family. Thanks.

Cherie Mac said...

Thank YOU Frog! I love your blog as well -- keep up the greatness!