Monday, March 24, 2008

Dad's Red Sports Car


We all have a mid-life crisis of some kind. My Dad never really did. But when he bought this car, everyone said it was his "mid-life crisis car". The car had a life of it's own...often, the top was down and our Old English Sheepdog, Abby, was in the passenger seat, tongue hanging out, loving every minute as her hair was out of her eyes and blowing in the wind. The hairpin turns in the mountains of New Jersey brought out the G's in Dad's usually docile driving. He had one eye on the road and the other watching the reaction of his passengers - who felt they needed an airbag but were too scared to ask. Oh, need I to mention how it could easily be pushed out of the garage while in neutral...started safely down the street (and out of earshot) for a late night spin to Galveston Island? But I don't know anyone who did that. Mid life crisis or not - that car was a blast! My brother adopted the car years later...he can fill you on that. I think there were some times when it had to be pushed in the snow at the train station in Jersey -- but we didn't care. That was some car....

1 comment:

FP Brewer said...

That was some car. Dad said that the only car that could keep up with him on the curves was a Ford Mustang. When dad gave the car to me, it was our first car. Babs and I in the front seat, Erica in her baby seat propped in the back. That arrangement would probably land me in jail nowadays. We had a lot of fun in it. I remember that it cost $1800 brand new in 1968. BTW - it was a '68 MG Sprite. Perhaps it's still out there on the road like Big Blue...